Monday, 18 October 2010

Mary and Max

Theres a film I watched recently (within the last year at least), called ‘Mary and Max’ it is a clay-animated stop motion film. It is directed and written by Adam Elliot, who is someone I haven’t heard of before and I’m not aware of any of his other work. 

I’m very interested in the idea of having something which is primarily meant for children, a cartoon, but is put in an adult context.
The film explores themes such as loneliness, bullying, depression childhood neglect and Asperger’s syndrome.
I’m not really sure why, but Asperger’s syndrome is someone else I am interested in. I think I could be to do with the way their minds work (at least the ones that I’ve encountered in Film and T.V.) especially the character in ‘Mark Haddon’s’ ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night time.’


The film somewhat reminds me of Amelie, mainly as there is a narrator who talks about all the little details in the film, such as how Mary has a birthmark on her face which looks like poo, which she later gets surgically removed. 

The scene which inspires me the most, and which stays in my head more so than the others, is a scene where Adult Mary, having just been left by her husband so he can go live with a sheep farmer from new Zealand, is drinking heavily and is clearly considering some form suicide, it goes inside her mind and gets all, which can only be described as, ‘trippy’,with photos from her life floating around and it shows that she has a baby inside her belly, which is beautifully done. 
I also like the irony that she is the only character that actually considers suicide, but doesn’t die. Where the rest of her family, who don’t even consider suicide, die in freak accidents what look like they have committed suicide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment